U.S. drone shot down by Iran in international space, U.S. officials say

 

June 20, 2019

 

Iran’s national security council said the country’s airspace is its red line, and there would have been a firm response regardless of who trespassed.


A U.S. Air Force RQ-4 Global Hawk unmanned aircraft.Bobbi Zapka / US Air Force via Reuters file

 

By Courtney Kube, Phil Helsel and Ali Arouzi | NBC News

 

FUJAIRAH, United Arab Emirates — A U.S. drone was shot down in international airspace above the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, two U.S. defense officials told NBC News, contradicting a claim by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard that it struck the aircraft after it entered that country’s airspace.

The news comes amid rising tensions in the region, with American officials blaming Iran for what they said was an attack on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman. Iran has denied any involvement.

The U.S. officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media, said that a surface-to-air missile hit an RQ-4A Global Hawk in international airspace above the strait. The officials said U.S. officials consider it an unprovoked attack.

Iranian and U.S. officials have previously delivered conflicting reports identifying the drone as an RQ-4A Global Hawk or its naval variant, the MQ-4 Triton.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said in a statement early Thursday that the U.S.-made Global Hawk surveillance drone was brought down by its air force near the Kouh-e Mobarak region, after the aircraft violated Iranian airspace.

In a later statement, they said the drone left a U.S. base in the Persian Gulf shortly after midnight local time on Thursday, moved around the Strait of Hormuz before entering Iranian air space four hours later when it immediately shot down.

Commander of the Revolutionary Guard, Gen. Hossein Salami, said on state television said the strike served as a signal that Iran will not back down from threats. “We have no intention of war, but we are standing strong,” he said.

The head of Iran’s national security council said the country’s airspace is its red line, and there would have been a firm response regardless of which country trespassed.

Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban previously said that “no U.S. drone was operating in Iranian airspace today.”

Central Command has called the Gulf of Oman incident a limpet mine attack. The U.S. military said Wednesday that one of the tankers sabotaged in the Middle East was attacked with limpet mines that “bear a striking resemblance” to devices in Iran’s arsenal.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced Monday that the Trump administration would send 1,000 additional troops to the region.

Shanahan said that the decision to increase forces was a response to a request from Central Command to address air, naval and ground-based threats.

Shanahan stepped down Tuesday and withdrew his name from consideration for the Cabinet position, President Donald Trump said. The president said Secretary of the Army Mark Esper, a former Raytheon executive, will take Shanahan’s place as acting defense secretary.

That announcement came within minutes of a report published in The Washington Post that outlined a series of alleged domestic violence incidents within Shanahan’s family. Shanahan said in a statement that it was “unfortunate” that details from the Post story were “dredged up.” He said that continuing with the confirmation process would harm his children. NBC News has not confirmed The Post’s report.

Earlier this week, Central Command said in a statement that a U.S. MQ-9 drone was shot down over Yemen on June 6 by what it thinks was a Houthi SA-6 surface to air missile. Iran-allied Houthi rebels are fighting Saudi-backed forces in Yemen in a conflict that has become one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

“The altitude of the engagement indicated an improvement over previous Houthi capability, which we assess was enabled by Iranian assistance,” Central Command said in the statement about that incident.

Central Command also said this week that on June 13 “a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile” attempted to shoot down a different drone of the same type that had arrived to monitor one of the ships damaged in the Gulf of Oman in the incident involving the two tankers.

That missile was ineffective, Central Command said.

“Subsequent analysis indicates that this was a likely attempt to shoot down or otherwise disrupt the MQ-9 surveillance of the IRGC attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous,” Central Command said of that alleged attempt, referring to the Revolutionary Guard and one of the tankers involved.

Courtney Kube reported from Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, Ali Arouzi from Tehran and Phil Helsel from Los Angeles.

Leave a Reply