Two women being treated in hospital following stabbing in Adelaide CBD


January 20, 2019


PHOTO: South Australia police on the scene of the stabbing in the Adelaide CBD this morning. (ABC News: Rebecca Opie)


By Australian Broadcasting Corporation


Two women are being treated at the Royal Adelaide Hospital after a stabbing incident in the Adelaide CBD this morning.

South Australian Police are currently responding to the incident which occurred at 9:45am this morning on Grenfell Street.

Police said two people were being treated for injuries and the suspect was known to the victims.

The suspect, a 33-year-old woman from Adelaide, has been arrested with police saying this was not a random incident.

Grenfell Street remains blocked off for westbound traffic from Wyatt Street, with police diverting traffic around the crime scene.

SA Police Inspector Cameron Devey said police were initially called to reports of a woman who was attacked but on arrival had found two women who had been assaulted.

He said police had controlled the situation and no other members of the public were in danger following the arrest.

“On arrival we’ve seen that two women have been assaulted,” he said.

“It’s a group that are known to each other and what we’ve worked out since, we’ve located a suspect in relation to this.

“We can assure the community that there is no other risk to any other members of the public and that we’ve got the matter in hand.”

He said police had not yet determined what weapon had been used but a knife had been found at the scene.

“What we are yet to determine is the likely weapon that has been used but the investigation ongoing will reveal that.”

Injuries ‘not life-threatening’

While it was initially reported that the victims had suffered serious injuries, Inspector Devey said the injuries were not life-threatening.

“What I can tell you is that the altercations happened on the southern side of Grenfell Street and at some point in time they have crossed the road and that’s where emergency services, including ourselves and SA Ambulance have treated both the victims for minor injuries,” he said.

He said police were still speaking with the 33-year-old suspect and that he expected charges would soon be laid.

“The charges are anticipated to be serious but the exact nature are still to be determined,” he said.

Police have also asked any members of the public who may have seen the altercation or have footage of the incident to contact police on 1800 333 000.

Leave a Reply