Fourth victim of Dutch tram shooting dies

 

March 28, 2019

 


Flowers laid at the 24 Oktoberplein, a week after the attack in Utrecht. Photo: EPA-EFE

 

THE HAGUE (AFP) – The death toll from an alleged terror attack on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht rose to four on Thursday (March 28) after an injured man died in hospital, prosecutors said.

“One of the seriously injured victims of the fatal shooting in the tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht died today of his injuries. He was a 74-year-old man,” a prosecutors’ statement said.

“This means that the 37-year-old suspect of the fatal shooting on March 18 is now suspected of four-fold murder or manslaughter with a terrorist objective, the attempted murder and a threat with a terrorist objective.”

Another seriously injured victim remains in hospital while a third injured person has returned home, prosecutors added.

Prosecutors said on Friday that the suspect, previously named as Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, confessed to terrorist charges over the rampage and said he acted alone.

The investigation continued and a court will decide at the end of next week on his further detention, the statement said.

Thousands of Dutch mourners including Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte took to Utrecht’s streets on Friday evening to pay their last respects to the victims of the rampage.

Leave a Reply