November 08, 2020
MOGADISHU – Twelve presidential aspirants among them two former presidents in Somalia have threatened to boycott the upcoming elections citing interference by the incumbent President Mohamed Farmaajo.
In a rare joint statement, the 12 candidates who include ex-presidents Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and immediate former PM Hassan Khaire said Sunday they will not take part in the upcoming poll unless the membership of the elections committee is reviewed.
According to the statement, Farmaajo who is seeking a second term has packed the Federal Elections Committee with intelligence officials, civil servants and individuals close to him.
A notable figure in the 25 member committee released last week is Villa Somalia deputy chief of staff Abdinur Mohamed.
The appointments, the presidential candidates said contravened the Provisional Constitution and political agreements including the one reached into by the President and Federal Member State leaders in Mogadishu in September.
Earlier, the Forum for Political Parties Coalition which comprises of six key political parties expressed similar sentiments accusing the president seeking to influence the upcoming elections.