UPDATE: At least one dead in Vienna ‘terror attack’

 

November 02, 2020

 

At least one person was killed in what the Austrian government said was an apparent terror attack in the centre of Vienna on Monday evening.

An Austrian policeman overlooks an area in Vienna on November 2, 2020, after a shooting in the city centre. Multiple gunshots were fired in central Vienna. PHOTO: AFP

 

By The Local – Austria’s News in English

 

Austrian police report that several people have been injured after a shooting in central Vienna on Monday evening.

Police confirmed that around 8:00pm shots were fired in the Seitenstettengasse area. They said there were “several perpetrators” with “rifles” and added there were a total “six different shooting locations”.

Police confirmed that one person had been killed and several others injured including a police officer. One of the attackers had also been killed, police said.

Nehammer said he assumed there were “several” perpetrators, some of whom were injured and killed.

Nehammer confirmed that the police operation was still ongoing. Social media videos showed police searching the city’s streets as well as metros stations and some restaurants.

“It sounded like firecrackers, then we realised it was shots,” said one eyewitness quoted by public broadcaster ORF.

A shooter had “shot wildly with an automatic weapon” before the police arrived and opened fire, the witness added.

Videos posted on Twitter that have not been verified showed people injured outside a cafe, whilst others run for cover as police cars head to the area.

One unverified video claimed to show an attacker firing shots in the street with Der Standard newspaper reporting that videos posted to Twitter showed several attackers shooting wildly in the streets.

Police, who pleaded with the public not to post and share videos of the attack tweeted a message saying “shots fired in inner city district – there are persons injured”.

“There is a large police operation going on in the 1st district of Vienna,” the police tweeted in English.

They warned people to “keep away from all public places or public transport” and not to share videos or photos online.

Oskar Deutsch, the head of the Jewish community in Vienna said on Twitter that it was too early to say whether the synagogue was the target of the shooting.

He said the synagogue was closed at the time of the shooting. He urged members of the Jewish community to stay at home.

A spokesman for Vienna’s Health Association confirmed that three people had been admitted to medical clinics with serious injuries as a result of the attack.

Leave a Reply