RT | 19 Aug, 2017
Roni Lehti / Reuters
The fatal stabbing attack that took place in the Finnish city of Turku on Friday is being investigated as a terrorist incident, police confirmed to local media, identifying the suspect as an 18-year-old Moroccan citizen.
READ MORE: 2 dead, 6 injured in Finland stabbing attack, unclear if incident related to terrorism – police
“Due to information received during the night, the Turku stabbings are now being investigated as murders with terrorist intent,” the National Bureau of Investigation said in a statement, as cited by Reuters.
Two people were killed and six injured in the stabbing attack. Police shot and injured the suspect who is now being treated in hospital.
Two of those stabbed remain in intensive care, Yle national broadcaster reported.
Finnish police have detained five more suspects presumably linked with the attack, Detective Superintendent Markus Laine of the National Bureau of investigation told AFP.
“We are investigating the role of these five other people, but we are not sure yet if they had anything to do with [the attack]… We will interrogate them, after that we can tell you more. But they had been in contact with the main suspect,” Laine said.
Both of the deceased were Finnish citizens, police said, as cited by Yle, adding that an Italian and two Swedish citizens are among the injured.