AFP , Friday 19 Aug 2017
People stand next to flowers, candles, a poster reading ‘Pray for Barcelona’ and other items set up on the Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona as they pay tribute to the victims of the Barcelona attack, a day after a van ploughed into the crowd, killing 13 persons and injuring over 100 on August 18, 2017. Police hunted for the driver who rammed a van into pedestrians on an avenue crowded with tourists in Barcelona, leaving 13 people dead and more than 100 injured, just hours before a second assault in a resort along the coast. (Photo: AFP)
The vehicle attacks that killed 14 and wounded over 100 more in a bustling tourist area of Barcelona and another Spanish seaside resort affected people of at least 34 different nationalities.
The dead and injured came from countries as varied as France, Venezuela, Australia, Ireland, Peru, Algeria and China.
A woman from the eastern Belgian town of Tongres, visiting Barcelona with her family, was killed, the Belgian foreign minister said.
Rome said two Italians were killed in Barcelona.
One was named by computer company Tom’s Hardware as its employee Bruno Gulotta, who worked in sales and marketing.
The 35-year-old had been on holiday in Barcelona with his wife and their two young children, the company announced, saying they were in mourning for their “friend and colleague”.
Italian media reported that Gulotta had been holding five-year-old son Alessandro’s hand just before he was hit by the van. His wife Martina had one-year-old daughter Aria in a baby carrier and managed to pull her son out of the way too.
A Portguese woman was among the dead, according to the government.
France appears to have the most injured in the attack. Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian gave a total of 26 wounded, including 11 seriously, while Interior Minister Gerard Collomb later said as many as 17 were gravely hurt.
Foreign ministry spokesman Martin Schaefer said 13 Germans were injured in the Barcelona attack, some of them “fighting for their lives”.
He said he could also not rule out that there may be Germans among the dead.
A family of four Irish citizens needed hospital treatment after the attack, Dublin said. The parents were originally from the Philippines, and Manila said its honorary consul in Barcelona had been to check on them.
Three Dutch people were wounded, all of whom are out of danger, the government said.
There are two Belgians among the wounded, one in a serious condition, according to Foreign Minister Didier Reynders.
— ROMANIA Three wounded — two men aged 33 and 42 who are in a stable condition in hospital and another who suffered only minor injuries.
Three wounded, according to the Australian government.
Two children wounded along with their mother, who has German nationality. The father was unhurt but is in shock, Greek officials said.
— REST OF EUROPE
One person each from Hungary, Macedonia, Austria and Turkey was wounded.
Two Taiwanese were wounded as well as one person from Hong Kong.
Published Date: August 18, 2017