June 14, 2017
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson(R) shake hands with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir Tuesday, shortly before their private meeting at the US Department of State in Washington, DC. — AFP
Washington — Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir insisted Tuesday that Saudi Arabia has not imposed a “blockade” on Qatar.
Al-Jubeir was in Washington for talks with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
“There is no blockade of Qatar. Qatar is free to go. The ports are open, the airports are open,” Jubeir said.
“What we have done is we have denied them use of our airspace, and this is our sovereign right.
“The limitation on the use of Saudi airspace is only limited to Qatari airways or Qatari-owned aircraft, not anybody else.
“The seaports of Qatar are open. There is no blockade on them. Qatar can move goods in and out whenever they want. They just cannot use our territorial waters.”
Jubeir said the closure of the border had been eased to allow divided families to be reunited, and that Saudi Arabia would send food or medical aid if needed. — AFP